The Farm to Fork Strategy aims to reduce the environmental and climate impact of primary production whilst ensuring fair economic returns for farmers, fishers and aquaculture producers.
The strategy sets targets to significantly reduce the use and risk of chemical pesticides, the use of fertilisers and sales of antimicrobials as well as increase agricultural land under organic farming.
It will also seek to improve animal welfare, protect plant health and promote adoption of new green business models, circular bio-based economy and the shift to sustainable fish and seafood production.
The strategy foresees the following actions in order to ensure sustainable food production:
- Adopt recommendations to each Member State addressing the nine specific objectives of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), before the draft CAP Strategic Plans are formally submitted
- Proposal for a revision of the Sustainable Use of Pesticides Directive to significantly reduce use and risk and dependency on pesticides and enhance Integrated Pest Management
- Revision of the relevant implementing Regulations under the Plant Protection Products framework to facilitate placing on the market of plant protection products containing biological active substances
- Proposal for a revision of the pesticides statistics Regulation to overcome data gaps and reinforce evidence-based policy making
- Evaluation and revision of the existing animal welfare legislation, including on animal transport and slaughter of animals
- Proposal for a revision of the feed additives Regulation to reduce the environmental impact of livestock farming
- Proposal for a revision of the Farm Accountancy Data Network Regulation to transform it into a Farm Sustainability Data Network with a view to contribute to a wide uptake of sustainable farming practices
- Clarification of the scope of competition rules in the TFEU with regard to sustainability in collective actions
- Legislative initiatives to enhance cooperation of primary producers to support their position in the food chain and non-legislative initiatives to improve transparency
- EU carbon farming initiative