Imported products of animal origin and live animals present a high level of risk as they can transmit serious human and animal diseases.
Veterinary border controls assure that consignments of live animals or products of animal origin can only enter into the EU, if they have satisfactorily undergone specific checks.
Section on veterinary border controls provides more information on the topic.
- Veterinary border controls
- Q&As on veterinary border controls
- EU import requirements - food of animal origin
- Information for countries exporting to EU - EU Trade Helpdesk
- Information for EU businesses exporting from EU - Market Access Database
- Commission Staff Working Document on the enforcement by national customs authorities of Regulation (EC) No 669/2009
- Q&As on increased level of official controls on imports of certain feed and food of non-animal origin (March 2015)
- Results of MS border controls - 2014
- Results of MS border controls - 2013
- Results of MS border controls - 2012
- Results of MS border controls - 2011
- Results of MS border controls - 2010