About the EU register
The EU Register is for information only, showing:
- Permitted nutrition claims and their conditions of use
- Authorised health claims, their conditions of use and applicable restrictions, if any;
- Non-authorised health claims and the reasons for their non-authorisation;
- EU legal acts for the specific health claims;
- National measures mentioned in Art. 23(3) of Regulation EC 1924/2006
The Commission will update the EU Register when required, namely upon adoption of EU decisions on applications for claims or on changes to conditions of use and restrictions.
Register of Health Claims
The search tool only allows searches for health claims*, and not nutrition claims.
*Health claims for which protection of proprietary data is granted (and for which the right of use of the claim is restricted to the benefit of the applicant) can be filtered out in the EU Register using the filter “Protection of proprietary data granted” set to “Yes”.
Please note that some of these health claims have been moved to the general list (Q-2010-00966, Q-2010-00784, Q-2012-00002, Q-2013-00832, Q-2014-00403), as the restriction of use for the benefit of the applicant has expired and the health claims may be used, in conformity with the conditions applying to them, by any food business operator.
Health claims for which protection of proprietary data is granted, are authorised for the restricted use of the applicant for a period of five years after the entry into force of the relevant legal act. At the expiry of the five-year period, this restriction should be removed so that the health claim may be used, in conformity with the conditions applying to it, by any food business operator. Such authorisations of claims for the restricted use of the applicant, do not exclude the authorisation of the same claims in case they are based on data and studies other than those for which protection of proprietary data has been granted in accordance with Article 21 of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006.
You can also download the complete dataset of nutrition and health claims in the following formats: Excel format - PDF format
Claims not in the EU Register
A number of submitted health claims do not appear in this EU Register:
- Health claims submitted as Article 13(1) 'function claims' but that do not qualify as such.
- Health claims not related to human health which cannot consequently be used on foods.
- Health claims for combinations of substances where health claims are already authorised for some of the individual substances.
- Some 'function claims', for which the assessment by EFSA or the consideration by the Commission is not finalised. These include health claims:
- Referring to botanical substances;
- Under further consideration by the Commission and EU countries.
- Some health claims subject to the individual authorisation procedure pending a decision.
This section provides details on:
- Claims based on new scientific evidence and/or including a request for the protection of proprietary data - Article 13(5)
- Claims referring to the reduction of a risk factor in the development of a disease - Article 14(1)(a)
- Claims referring to children's development and health - Article 14(1)(b)
The Commission makes publicly available comments it has received from applicants and the public (according to Article 16(6) of the Regulation) until it makes a decision on the relevant health claim.
Processing of personal data is handled according to Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and a specific privacy statement
You can see health claims for which a decision has been taken upon in the EU Register