This statement applies to content published on the domain: https://food.ec.europa.eu/
It does not apply to other content or websites published on any of its subdomains. These websites and their content will have their own specific accessibility statement.
This website is managed by Directorate-General for Health and Food Safety. It is designed to be used by as many people as possible, including people with disabilities.
For example, you should be able to:
- zoom up to 200% without difficulty
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using a modern screen reader and speech recognition software (on your computer or phone)
This website is partially compliant with and the . See ‘Non-accessible content’ below for more details.
The website was last tested on 22 August 2023.
Preparation of this statement
This statement was reviewed on 5 December 2023.
Method used to prepare the statement: self-assessment, including use of the Lighthouse automated accessibility tool.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of the European Commission’s Food Safety website. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers:
- Phone: 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11
- E-mail: sante-web-accessibilityec [dot] europa [dot] eu (sante-web-accessibility[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu)
- Feedback form: https://european-union.europa.eu/contact-eu/write-us_en
We try to respond to feedback within 15 business days from the date that we receive it.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
The Food Safety website is designed to be compatible with the following widely used assistive technologies:
- latest version of Google Chrome and Apple Safari browsers
- in combination with the latest versions of JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver and TalkBack
The accessibility of the Food Safety website relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of the Food Safety website, we are aware of some limitations, which we are working to fix. Below is a description of known limitations and potential solutions. Please contact us if you encounter an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for the Food Safety website:
- Navigation menu accessibility: some content has not been properly coded for the best experience with a screen reader. We plan to fix this issue by December 2023.
- Heading hierarchy: Some headings do not follow the correct heading hierarchy, which can cause problems for screen reader users. We plan to fix this issue in a future release.
- iframe missing title will be resolved in Release 23 of the EWPP content management system (early December 2023).
- Video captions: Some of our videos do not have captions. We are continuously working on adding them to more videos.
- Video player – keyboard accessibility: We are aware of some issues with the keyboard accessibility of our video player (when selecting the caption language from the menu, it is not possible to use the arrow keys to move between languages, this can only be done with the TAB key).
- Some images do not have alt text descriptions or need a better description.
- HTML markups for tables, such as <th> for Header cells, are missing. We plan to fix this by December 2024.