Harmonised EU rules are in place covering a range of animal species and welfare-affecting issues. Whilst Council Directive 98/58/EC lays down the minimum standards for the protection of all farmed animals, specific directives are addressed at the protection of individual animals. EU legislation also sets welfare standards for their transport and conditions at the time of stunning and slaughter.
Legislation under the responsibility of DG Environment covers wild animals and animals used for scientific purposes.
- What the EU does for animal welfare?
- Video - "Animal Welfare in the European Union"
- More Videos from DG SANTE
- Animal welfare of wild animals
- Keeping of wild animals in zoos (summaries of EU legislation)
- Use of animal-based measures to assess the welfare of animals
- Relationships between animal welfare hazards and animal-based welfare indicators
- Guidance on Risk Assessment for Animal Welfare
- The role of EFSA in assessing and promoting animal health and welfare