19 December 2018 - Brussels
A ministerial conference, organised by the European Commission, on the “Eradication of African swine fever (ASF) in the EU and the long-term management of wild boar populations” took place in Brussels on 19 December. Commissioners Vytenis Andriukaitis, Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, and Karmenu Vella, Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, welcomed ministers and representatives from EU and national institutions, civil society organizations and associations to discuss and reflect upon the control and eradication of ASF. The meeting focussed on the preparedness on ASF and notably on the long-term management of the wild boar population. Within this context, the European Food Safety Authority presented the effects of different wild board control options and the latest scientific developments on the disease.
Concluding Statement from the Ministerial conference
- Factsheet - African Swine fever - Where are we now?
- Factsheet - Control of African swine Fever in the EU, The key role of hunters
Speeches and presentations
- Opening speech
- Closing speech
- Commissioner Vella’s video message
- Presentation - Development and current situation - by Patrik Mlynář, Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Czech Republic
- Presentation - Latest developments in EFSA risk assessment on African swine fever - by Nikolaus Kriz, European Food Safety Authority – Head of Animal and Plant Health Unit
- Presentation - ASF and the legislative framework: the management of disease eradication through awareness and cooperation - Directorate G – Crisis management in food
- Presentation - Eradication of ASF in the EU and the long-term management of wild boar - by Ludwig Willnegger - FACE Secretary General
- Presentation - Eradication of African swine fever in the EU and the long-term management of wild boar populations - by Dr.Ulrich Herzog, CVO - Austria
- Presentation - African Swine Fever in Wild boar - Belgian Case
- Presentation - Initiatives to increase awareness and biosecurity among farmers - by Pekka Pesonen – Secretary General of Copa Cogeca and Jos Goebbels – Vice President of UECBV