About the committee
All those with an interest in animal health have their role to play and responsibilities to fulfil in optimising performance and results. As part of its Animal Health Strategy, in 2008 the Commission deepened and strengthened its structured collaborative approach with stakeholders by creating the Animal Health Advisory Committee, in an effort to maintain effective partnerships at all levels.
The Committee meets regularly and follows animal health situations, policy developments and progress. It is informed of and consulted on all impact assessments, significant animal disease outbreaks, on a wide range of planned, discussed or finalised and implemented rules or measures, EU positions, studies, EFSA opinions, research projects, stakeholder own initiatives, and on many more similar items. It advises the Commission on relevant aspects and on the best means of delivering agreed outcomes. It may also provide strategic guidance on the appropriate level of animal or public health protection, and on priorities for action and communication.
Advisory Committee is a sub-group of The Animal Health the Advisory Group on the Food Chain and Animal and Plant Health (AGFC). It is chaired by the Head of DG SANTE's Animal Health and Welfare Unit (G2), with the special participation of 3 representatives of Chief Veterinary Officers of three Member States (past, present and future Presidency).
- Members - EU-wide representatives of farmers, the veterinary profession, food chain businesses, animal health industries, animal interest groups, producers of food and other animal products, processors, traders, consumers, civil society, etc. List of members
- All members and observers of the Advisory Group on the Food Chain and Animal and Plant Health
- EU and international bodies (such as EFSA, EMEA, ECDC, OIE, FAO)
- hird countries representatives or specific expertise when needed
- f relevant the Commission can invite small or newly created associations when representation of a specific sector is missing (such as pets' associations, hobby farmers, zoos' representatives etc.)
- Agendas will be drawn up by SANTE Unit G2
- Stakeholders may request discussion of specific issues of interest for the AH Advisory Committee
- Agendas, presentations and summaries are publicly available below for the last three calendar years
Frequency of Meetings
- 1 to 4 times a year
- Ad-hoc meetings may be organised on specific issues (crisis, key topics, etc.)