About the platform
One of the key priorities of the Commission is to promote an enhanced dialogue on animal welfare issues that are relevant at EU level among competent authorities, businesses, civil society and scientists.
To achieve this goal, in 2017 the Commission established the expert group 'Platform on Animal Welfare' (Decision 2017/C 31/12) with the aim to develop and exchange of coordinated actions on animal welfare with a particular focus on:
- better application of EU rules on animal welfare, through exchanges of information and best practices and the direct involvement of stakeholders,
- the development and use of voluntary commitments by businesses to further improve animal welfare,
- the promotion of EU animal welfare standards to valorise the market value of the Union's products at the global level.
In November 2019, the Commission extended the period of application of the expert group until 30 June 2021 (Commission Decision of 29 November 2019). This extension ensured the continuity of the activities and dialogue between the Platform members.
In May 2021, the Commission adopted a Decision renewing, until 30 June 2025, the mandate of the Platform on Animal Welfare (Decision 2021/C 185/04). This renewal implies a new call for application to re-elect the members of the Platform (individuals appointed in a personal capacity and organisations).
Over the next four years, the Platform will continue its activities to provide meaningful contributions in connection with the current Commission priorities in the field of animal welfare.
The Commission called for applications from business and professional organisations, organisations from civil society and independent experts from academic and research institutes with expertise in animal welfare.
- 2021: Interested organisations based in a European Economic Area (EEA) country and operating at EU-level as well as individual experts (EEA nationals) were invited to apply until 21 June 2021.
All relevant information regarding the closed call for applications:
- 2017: Interested organisations and experts operating at EU-level were invited to apply until 6 March 2017. The inaugural meeting of the platform was held in Brussels, on 6 June 2017. See the "Platform Members" page.
All relevant information regarding the closed call for applications below: