About the review
In 2013, the Commission reviewed the EU legislation on the marketing of seed and plant propagating material (SPPM) consisting of 12 basic acts.
Stages of the review
The review included an impact assessment accompanying the Commission's legal proposal to the Council and the European Parliament.
The draft Regulation was adopted by the Commission on 6 May 2013.
The Commission consulted the public on an 'option and analysis paper' in May 2011.
The Action Plan (2009) uses the evaluation and conference conclusions as a basis.
Conference "Ensuring seed availability in the 21st Century"
The 2009 event discussed the results of the evaluation and ways forward.
- Economic importance
Current situation and future of internal and global markets of seed and propagating material - International Seed Federation
- Recent developments
New plant breeding techniques and uses of plants - Agricultural University, Belgium
- International standards
Global certification for seed in international trade - OECD
- Evaluation results of S&PM legislation & recommendations
Food Chain Evaluation Consortium
- Canada taking new direction in seed marketing requirements?
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Different roles of S&PM legislation - citizens' expectations?
EP Committee on Agriculture & Rural Development
- Farmer's expectations for S&PM
- Breeders' challenges - breeding & seed production in 21st C
European Seed Association
- Sector of ornamentals: Special Needs?
International Association of Horticultural Producers
- Sector of Forestry: Special Needs?
European Forest Nursery Association
Ministry of Agriculture & Fish
- Czech Republic
Central Institute for Supervising & Testing in Agriculture
Swedish Board of Agriculture