About the group
Reducing food waste is one of the objectives of the Farm to Fork Strategy, which will also contribute to achieving a circular economy and will bring savings to consumers and operators. As households generate more than half of the total food waste in the EU (55% or over 31 million tonnes) with 71% of food waste arising at household, food service and retail (Eurostat, 2022) and given global developments in this area of work, prevention of consumer food waste is a key area of focus. At the inaugural meeting of the EU Platform on Food Losses and Food Waste under its second mandate (2022-2026), it was agreed that a sub-group dedicated to consumer food waste prevention would be established in order to support EU and Platform members’ work in this field.
The sub-group provides a forum to exchange information on interventions carried out to modify consumer behavior concerning food waste generation and/or raise consumer awareness about the issue and results achieved.
European Consumer Food Waste Forum
The sub-group is closely involved in the on-going EU pilot project, financed by the European Parliament, and carried out by DG SANTE in collaboration with the Joint Research Centre, the European Consumer Food Waste Forum, which aims to gather data and identify a variety of evidence-based, practical solutions to reduce food waste at the consumer level, including household and food services.
More information about the objectives, tasks and membership of this sub-group can be found in its mandate:
8 July 2022 - On-line (Teams)
- Presentation – European Consumer Food Waste Forum: overview of work carried out so far and collaboration with the Platform sub-group – Joint Research Centre
- Presentation – Work carried out in the context of the European Consumer Food Waste Forum – Joint Research Centre
- Presentation – What Ireland Thinks About Food Waste – Odile Le Bolloch, Food Waste Prevention Team Lead | Circular Economy Programme, Irish Environmental Protection Agency
- Presentation – Approaches to audience segmentation for citizen food waste prevention in the UK – Helen White, Special Advisor - Household Food Waste, WRAP
- Presentation – WRAP and Love Food Hate Waste International’s latest work in consumer food waste – Katharine Fox, International Development Manager, WRAP
- Presentation – Citizens Food Waste – Scotland’s Story by Ylva Haglund, Food Systems Partner, Zero Waste Scotland